Monday, September 29, 2008

The Coward

I played my second character piece (really it's the first) today in class.
Although I like Id better this piece seem generally well received.
I felt kind of lost while composing this one even though I had a particular character and idea in mind. I kept drifting towards a more tonal sound and this got quite frustrating.
I found that after I sat at the piano for a minute a new idea came and the rest was pretty easy going.

Some of the comments I received in class today were about the opening and closing phrase. It was said that I should try to vary it up a little bit so that it's not the exact same. Although I kinda liked it like that, I think I may tinker with that just to see what new possibilities there are.
Another thing that was commented upon was the use of pedal. I definitely agree that I need to keep the sound sustained in the measures where I had rests. I really like the sound that was produced so I plan on including that in the near future.

As for now, I'm going to take a little break from composing. 
Writing a composition for a few hours and then doing 3rd species counterpoint exercises was a little too much last night. 

'Night!

1 comment:

Clark Ross said...

I find the statement "I kept drifting towards a more tonal sound" interesting... I wonder if it really is tonality, with its hierarchy of chords and voice-leading practices, you keep drifting toward, or perhaps a less dissonant kind of atonality? Just wondering.

In any event, nothing wrong with the occasional drift toward (but perhaps not quite into) tonality.

I'm enjoying your music.